Pest control is an essential service in California. It is for this reason that our team will keep serving homes and businesses in the Sacramento area. Our pest control experts are here to address significant coronavirus pest control needs. However, we are taking precautions in light of the Shelter in Place order issued in California. To learn more about how we are addressing pest problems during the coronavirus outbreak, contact our office.
Below we outline why pest control is an essential business throughout California. We also discuss which services, in particular, are most important to consider at this time.
What Counts as an Essential Business in California?
California’s Shelter in Place order went into effect on March 19th. This order requires Californians to stay at home as much as possible to help slow the spread of coronavirus. However, there are exceptions to this rule. Residents of California can leave for essential purposes, like getting groceries or visiting a doctor. Further, the Shelter in Place order allows employees to leave their homes for work if they work at an essential business.
California first experienced confusion as to what businesses qualify as essential. However, officials released a comprehensive list soon after the initial Shelter in Place order took effect. Essential businesses are those which provide critical infrastructure services. This includes businesses within the following sectors:
- Healthcare and public health
- Emergency services
- Food and agriculture
- Water and wastewater
- Transportation and logistics
- Communications and information technology
- Government operations
- Critical manufacturing
- Hazardous materials
- Financial services
- Defense industrial base
Pest Control: An Essential Service Throughout California
Under the current guidelines, pest control is an essential service. This is because unaddressed pest problems can lead to issues for public health, food, and property damage. For this reason, we are currently offering services to address coronavirus pest control needs.
Pests the EPA Designates as of Significant Public Health Importance
The Environmental Protection Agency identifies certain pests as a threat to public health. The pests on this list pose significant health, allergy, and food contamination risks. For this reason, pest control during the coronavirus pandemic may center on the following types of pests:
- Cockroaches – The saliva, feces, and shedding of some species of cockroaches can trigger asthma and allergic reactions.
- Mosquitos – Mosquitos are well known for their ability to transmit disease to humans. Notable diseases spread by mosquitos include the Zika virus, yellow fever, and other forms of encephalitis.
- Ticks – Ticks are also known for disease transmission. Common diseases borne by ticks include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and relapsing fever.
- Rodents – Rats and mice can also transmit disease. At the same time, rodent feces release microbial toxins that can contaminate food.
- Bed bugs – Bites inflicted by bed bugs can trigger severe allergic reactions.
Need Pest Control in Sacramento? Contact Our Professionals for Essential Pest Control Services
A pest infestation may lead to severe allergic reactions, food-borne illness, or the contraction of a disease. Since COVID-19 is already straining our critical infrastructure, most notably our healthcare system, an unaddressed pest problem may only compound these difficulties. For this reason, Jones Bros Pest Control, Inc. is offering coronavirus pest control services in compliance with social distancing guidelines at this time.