Historically, rats have been responsible for spreading some of the deadliest diseases known to humankind, such as bubonic plague. Today, rats and other rodents are responsible for spreading more than 35 diseases worldwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. These diseases are generally spread through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on infected rats. However, numerous other deadly diseases can also be spread to humans by coming into contact with rat feces, urine or saliva.
Rats are drawn to food sources, and even the smallest cracks in a property are enough to invite them inside. Because rodents like to stay warm, they are also more likely to come inside during colder, winter weather. As such, rat infestations tend to be worse in the fall and winter. If you know that you have rats or other rodents, contact a professional Sacramento rat exterminator at Jones Bros Pest Control, Inc. today.
Recognizing the Signs of Rats
Before you can eradicate a rat infestation, it is important to identify which type of rodent you are dealing with and assess the situation. In order to do that, it is important to recognize common signs of a rat infestation:
- Live rats. Seeing a rat is never a good sign. If you see a rat, it is time to call a rat exterminator.
- Rat droppings. While mouse droppings are tiny (about the size of a grain of rice), rat droppings are larger. In many cases, rat droppings are more than half of an inch long.
- Urine odors. Rat urine has a distinct, musky odor. The larger the rat infestation, the more potent the urine smell.
- Gnawed holes and marks. Rats like to gnaw on things. Rat holes are large and generally at least the size of a quarter. You may also notice tooth marks on wood around the house.
- Rodent nests or runways. Roof rats typically build their nests in attics. Signs of nests or signs of distinct runways along interior walls and foundations may indicate a rat problem.
- Scampering noises in the attic, basement, or walls. Since rats are nocturnal, many homeowners report hearing scampering noises throughout the night as rats run along floors, walls or attic beams.
- Unusual pet behavior. Household pets often react to smelling, hearing or seeing a rat. For example, dogs may bark or begin to paw at spaces beneath refrigerators or walls. Cats may begin stalking rats they see in the home. If you notice unusual pet behavior, you may have a rodent problem or another pest problem.
Contact Our Sacramento Rat Exterminators
Understanding the difference between a rat and a mouse is key to getting rid of your rodent problem once and for all. If you have a rat problem or suspect you might, it is important to call a Sacramento rat exterminator.
At Jones Bros Pest Control, Inc., we work with home and property owners to identify their rodent problem, get rid of their rodent problems, and prevent future infestations. We offer monthly and bi-monthly services to ensure that your home is rodent-free.
If you need rodent control in Sacramento or the surrounding areas, call us at (916) 269-0689. You can also fill out our online contact form detailing your pest problem and we will get back to you with a free quote.