At Jones Bros Pest Control, Inc. we know that no one wants to live with cockroaches in their homes or business. Cockroaches can spread bacteria and can cause damage to your property. While spotting one cockroach on your property is not necessarily a cause for alarm, it can indicate a bigger problem. So, how do you know if you have a cockroach infestation?
There are over 3,500 species of cockroaches. Cockroaches are mostly nocturnal and typically come out at night. They feed on all types of food in your home. They will even eat paper, packaging, and fabrics.
Unfortunately for homeowners, cockroaches are not solitary pests. They live in groups and hide in the cracks of the walls and under floorboards. They can quickly multiply.
While cockroaches may have their place in the environment, they do not belong in homes or businesses. According to the World Health Organization, cockroaches play a role as carriers of intestinal diseases, and they spread bacteria. In addition, they can carry the eggs of parasitic worms.
Fortunately, if you see signs of cockroaches on your property, there are ways to control this infestation. However, these pests do not always respond well to chemical control. That is why you need an experienced pest control professional to tackle the problem from the start.
Signs of Cockroach Infestation
But, what indicates a cockroach problem? Below, our Sacramento cockroach exterminators discuss common signs of a cockroach infestation:
Cockroaches often leave behind large dark droppings that look like ground coffee or black pepper. As they crawl over walls, they leave behind dark smear marks as well. If you see these signs, be cautious when cleaning them up. Cockroach droppings can be hazardous to your health.
Cockroaches lay capsules full of multiple eggs. Each cockroach species has different-looking egg capsules. If you find cockroach eggs, it is an unfortunate sign you have a cockroach infestation.
Since cockroaches will eat anything, you may see evidence of their nightly activity. This can come in the form of chewed packaging, leather, or book pages. You may even find fragments of food packaging.
Cockroach feces smells musty and potent. It contains a pheromone that attracts other cockroaches to your property. If you smell a lingering musty odor, you could have a cockroach problem.
Seeing a live cockroach is the best way to determine if you have a cockroach infestation. If you turn on the light at night and see cockroaches scatter, you have a cockroach infestation.
Where Do Cockroaches Live?
Cockroaches can live anywhere in your home or business. However, they prefer dark, warm and humid areas the most. As such, you can find cockroaches in the following places on your property:
- Back of kitchen or bathroom cabinets
- Behind sinks and toilets near plumbing
- In or behind appliances, such as dishwashers and refrigerators
- Under floors leading to washing machines and dryers
- Along the base and corners of walls
- Under porches and decks
- Undisturbed areas of garages or sheds
Do Roaches Live in Walls?
It is likely that cockroaches will live in the walls of your house if the area is dark and humid. Cockroaches normally live near their sources of food, too. Therefore, they will always search for cracks, crevices, and other structural flaws in your home.
Cockroaches are extremely flexible because of their exoskeletons. Even the smallest of spaces are relatively easy for them to enter. Due to this, cockroaches can live in cracks and crevices in your walls without much trouble. They can easily establish colonies here, as well as find food and water.
Infestations of cockroaches can be quite severe if left unchecked. Clean cracks, crevices, baseboards, and interior walls. By doing so, you will be able to remove nymphs, droppings, dead cockroaches, shed skins, and egg sacks (ootheca).
Cracks and crevices can also be treated with diatomaceous earth, boric acid, or residual spray. In this way, live cockroaches will be killed and reinfestations prevented.
How Can I Tell if I Have Cockroaches in My Walls?
Look for warning signs along the joints and corners of your walls around cracks and gaps. That’s where cockroaches are most likely to enter.
- Flecks And Smear Marks On The Wall – One obvious signs of cockroach infestation is cockroach smear marks. Near their hiding spots, cockroaches leave irregular smears. Clean this up as soon as possible. A bonus sign to look for is cockroach droppings.
- Roaches in Live Form – It’s likely that several cockroaches are living inside your wall if you find one or two climbing your wall. Reduce their numbers by spraying residual insecticides or using diatomaceous earth.
- Capsules Containing Eggs – A nest of eggs (ootheca) is another indication that cockroaches are present inside your walls. They can be found behind picture frames and along baseboards. It is likely that cockroaches will remain undisturbed in these places.
- Small Holes and Cracks with Roach Droppings – Cockroach feces look like ground coffee or black pepper. Other signs that they’re hiding inside the wall are feces near cracks and crevices. Excessive droppings mean they’re infested.
- A Musty Odor – Are you noticing a musty odor coming from your wall cracks? Many cockroaches are likely to have established nests in
- your home. When the infestation increases, the odor becomes more potent.
Contact Our Sacramento Pest Control Professionals
If you have a cockroach infestation, we can help. Our Sacramento pest control professionals know how to get rid of cockroaches once and for all. To speak with us about pest control call 916-852-8800. You can also fill out our online contact form detailing your pest problem, and we’ll get back to you with a quote. You do not have to live with cockroaches. We can make sure they do not return. Call us today and check out our reviews!